Howdy! It’s been awhile since I posted an actual recipe! Today I’m sharing a Strawberry Habanero Jam recipe that I found online. It tastes yummy with ice cream, biscuits, and cream cheese! This jam is not really spicy but it does some heat in every other bite. I recommend putting 5 habaneros for a spicier taste instead of just 3.
Strawberry Habanero Jam
Author: Jenny B – Honey and Birch
*Gloves are recommended when using Habaneros.
- 3¾ cups crushed strawberries
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- 3-5 habanero peppers, chopped
- 1 pouch of liquid pectin
- 8, 8 ounce canning jars with lids and bands
- Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. (water canner=your pot)
- Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.
- Mix strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and habanero peppers in a saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. When you cannot stir down the foam, gradually stir in the pectin. Return the mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Ladle the hot jam into the jars leave 1/4 inch space at the top.
- Wipe rims clean and place lids on jars. Apply screw bands.
- Process in boiling-water canner for 10 minutes. Remove jars and let cool/sit for 24 hrs. The lids will make a ‘tink’ sound and the button on top of the lid will cave in showing that it has sealed properly. If it doesn’t seal during that 24 hrs you can still use the jam just put in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Katy from http://www.redbirdrecipes.com
All photos are property of Katy from http://www.redbirdrecipes.com