Howdy gang! Summer is in full swing this week in my part of Texas. It’s been hot, hot, hot! In the absence of rain this week we were able to use our beloved grill! Sunday night the hubs grilled up some blackened chicken and I whipped up a new recipe for semi-homemade southwest potatoes! There are a few tex mex joints around town that serve a similar side dish. The dish is simple and has bacon, bell peppers, and other spices. I wanted to replicate this without doing a ton of work. I combined some fresh ingredients with one of the emergency instant mashed potato pouches that I had in the pantry! I try to only use those when I’m strapped for time. Oh my! It was delicious!!! It tasted better than the at the restaurant!
Here’s the recipe: 😀
Southwest Potatoes with Bacon and Bell Pepper
- 3 slices of Thick Cut Peppered Bacon, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar, grated (optional)
- 1 Packet of Idaho Instant Red Potatoes
- 2 cups of Water (for the potatoes)
- Cook the bacon, bell pepper, and onion in a skillet in a medium skillet until bacon is fully done.
- Pour 2 cups of water in the skillet and increase heat to high until water begins to boil.
- Stir instant potatoes into the boiling water/bacon and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and cover with a lid.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve!