My husband and I absolutely loved this burger and found it to be almost identical to the real deal. We unfortunately live no where near the “real deal”, so making it at home is the only way for us to enjoy an animal style burger. 🙂 If you haven’t made it to an In-n-Out Burger you gotta try it! It is awesome. You’ll long for it after you’ve had it!
What does “Animal Style” mean?
Here’s what it means to me.
First of all, the burger patty has mustard cooked onto one side of it. So essentially you spread mustard on one raw side of the beef patty and slap it onto a hot griddle. The mustard is fried to the meat and creates a memorable surprise for you taste buds.
Second of all, the burger has sweet, heavenly, caramelized onions piled on top of the juicy patty. These onions are crucial to this burger!
Third of all, (yes, I’m going to continue this pattern) the bun is toasted on the griddle in the remaining oils and flavors left from previous cooked goodies. This allows the bun to soak up flavor, and crisp up with awesomeness. Without a crispy bun it would be a soggy mess.
Fourth and final of all, the sauce is freshly made. The sauce is basically a version of a thousand island dressing, consisting of ketchup, mayo, sweet relish, and white vinegar.
Copy Cat Animal Style burger
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 large Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- Ice Berg Lettuce
- 4 slices sandwich Cheddar
- 4 Buns
- Butter, for spreading
- Salt & Pepper
- Chili Powder (OPTIONAL)
- Dill Relish
- White Vinegar
- Shape the meat into 4 burger patties. Dry season both sides with Salt & Pepper. Let patties marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes. (Chili powder optional)
- Caramelize the onion in oil in a skillet for about 25 minutes and set onion aside in a bowl.
- Using the same hot skillet, cook burger patties on one side til almost done.
- Squirt mustard onto the uncooked sides of the patties.
- Flip patties over so that the mustard side can cook.
- In a separate skillet, butter and grill the inside of each bun.
- Top the plain side of the patty with cheddar.
- On the bottom bun place lettuce, tomato, patty, caramelized onion, and then finally the animal style sauce.
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dill Relish
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper